Provided by You Health
Acne - Compounded Creams.
This treatment plan contains information regarding the medication that was prescribed to you including but not limited to: ingredient information, interactions, side effects, instructions for use, and other important information you should know prior to starting it.
The acne treatment that you have been prescribed is designed to help control mild-to-severe acne on the face when used regularly as prescribed
What are the active ingredients found in the Acne Treatment?
Hims offers different formulas to address specific skin concerns in addition to acne, including dark spots and redness. All of the acne formulas contain the following ingredients (with the exception of the formula designed specifically for pregnant or breastfeeding women or individuals with a hypersensitivity or an allergy to tretinoin):
Based on an individual’s specific skin concerns, the formula may also contain the following ingredients:
- Azelaic acid
- Zinc pyrithione
Acne formula for pregnant and breastfeeding individuals:
Since tretinoin is contraindicated in pregnant and breastfeeding individuals, Hims offers a tretinoin-free formula. Topical clindamycin, niacinamide, azelaic acid, and zinc pyrithione are all generally considered safe for use during pregnancy and breastfeeding. Please inform the healthcare provider who is overseeing your pregnancy and/or postpartum period that you are using this product.
All of the acne formulas are free of gluten, paraben, phthalates, sulfate, and synthetic fragrance. It is NOT tested on animals and is vegan
Do not use this medicine if you are allergic to any of the following ingredients that may be found in your formula:
- Azelaic acid
- Zinc pyrithione
How do I use this medicine?
Apply a thin layer of this medicine to a clean face in the evening and rub in gently. It is recommended that you wash your face with a 2.5% - 4% benzoyl peroxide wash twice a day. These can be found at most major drugstores or grocery stores. Please do not use abrasive or rough soaps as they may irritate the skin. If your skin is sensitive, you many want to wait 20-30 minutes after washing your face before you apply this medicine.You can use this medicine with other topical skin products, but this medicine should be applied to the skin first. Please wash your hands after applying the medicine.
- If using this medicine for the first time: apply the medication to clean skin every 3rd night. Use enough of the medication to cover the face with a thin film. If you are not experiencing significant redness or peeling after 1-2 weeks of use, increase the frequency to every other night for 2 weeks. At that time, if tolerating the medication well, increase frequency of use to every night.
If you continue to experience moderate redness or peeling, it’s ok to use the product every other night.
- If you are already using a topical skin treatment with a retinoid (e.g., tretinoin, Retin-A®, Tazorac®, over the counter retinol): stop that treatment and continue using the Acne treatment in the same fashion. While using the Acne treatment, please do not use any other treatments on your face that contain a retinoid (including over-the-counter products) or any other acne treatments (both prescription and over-the-counter)
What should I expect during treatment with this medication?
- After the first 2 weeks of use, it is likely that you will experience side effects such as redness, dryness, or flaking of the skin.
- During the first few weeks of treatment, you may also notice a mild worsening of your acne. It typically takes about 4-8 weeks before you start to see your acne improve.
- Once you stop this medication, it is possible that the quality of your skin may return to what it looked like prior to starting it.
- Please make sure to apply sunscreen daily (SPF 15 or higher) in the morning both during and after treatment with this medication.
What are the common side effects of this medicine?
You may experience side effects with this medication. These side effects are common and typically go away with time and regular use:
- Stinging of the skin
- Increased sensitivity to the sun
You should also avoid other products known to cause skin irritation on the area of treatment, such as medicated or abrasive (rough) soaps, products with alcohol or astringents, chemical hair removers, and cosmetics with a strong drying effect. If you are having any treatments such as a facial, electrolysis, or waxing, please inform the individual providing the service that you are using a product with tretinoin.
Your provider has evaluated the specific health information you provided and is making recommendations based on it. If you forgot to provide or incorrectly provided the information your provider may misdiagnose or fail to diagnose conditions that you may have which could affect our recommendation for treatment. If you need to clarify or update any information about your health you can message or call a provider through the Hims platform anytime.
This treatment is not 100% effective. It may not work or may only partially resolve the condition for which you are seeking treatment. If you do not see any signs of improvement or if you are experiencing new or worsening symptoms, message a provider through the Hims platform anytime or contact your regular healthcare provider. If it is an emergency, call 911 or seek immediate help in-person.
Misdiagnosis or Delayed Diagnosis
There is also a risk that your provider will misdiagnose or fail to diagnose conditions that you may have which could affect the recommendation for treatment. The healthcare providers providing treatment through the Hims platform use evidence-based guidelines as well as clinical decision-making to try to minimize these risks.
Accepting or Declining The Recommendation
Your provider is recommending this treatment for you because the potential benefits outweigh the risks in their estimation. You should evaluate this information and any input from your in-person healthcare team, and any other relevant information to decide if this treatment plan is appropriate for you. You are free to not follow the recommendations you received from the provider through the Hims platform.
Share with Your In-Person Healthcare Team
You can access your records anytime. We strongly recommend that you update your in-person healthcare team about any new medicines that you are taking or other changes in your health. You can also ask questions anytime by messaging a provider through the Hims platform, and we are happy to help you share any information about your health with your in-person healthcare team.