What is the most important information that I should know about the Acne Treatment?
Do not use the Acne treatment if you are:
Allergic to any of the ingredients that may be found in the acne formulas, including*:
- Azelaic Acid
- Zinc Pyrithione
*We offer a variety of formulas to address specific skin concerns in addition to acne, including dark spots and redness. The formulas may contain some or all of the ingredients listed above. If you are allergic to any of these ingredients, please discuss which formula is right for you with your healthcare provider.
Younger than 13 years of age
- If you have severe cystic acne (you should be evaluated in-person by a healthcare provider)
Can I use the Acne Treatment while I am pregnant or breastfeeding?
- We offer 2 acne formulas for pregnant and breastfeeding individuals that do not contain tretinoin. Tretinoin should not be used during pregnancy and breastfeeding. Topical clindamycin, niacinamide, azelaic acid, and zinc pyrithione are all generally considered safe for use during pregnancy and breastfeeding. Please inform the healthcare provider who is overseeing your pregnancy and/or postpartum period that you are using this product.
The Acne treatment is free of the following ingredients:
- Synthetic fragrance
What if I am currently using a product containing a retinoid (tretinoin, Retin-A®, Tazorac®, or over-the-counter retinol)?
Please stop the treatment that you are currently using and continue using the Acne Treatment in the same fashion. While using the Acne Treatment, please do not use any other treatments on your face that contain a retinoid (including over-the-counter products)
What are the most common side effects of this medication:
You may experience side effects with this medication. These side effects are common and typically go away with time and regular use:
- Stinging of the skin
- Increased sensitivity to the sun
You should also avoid other products known to cause skin irritation on the area of treatment, such as medicated or abrasive (rough) soaps, products with alcohol or astringents, chemical hair removers, and cosmetics with a strong drying effect. If you are having any treatments such as a facial, electrolysis, or waxing, please inform the individual providing the service that you are using a product with tretinoin.
What should I tell my healthcare provider before the Acne Treatment is prescribed?
- If you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or breastfeeding
- If you are currently using any products containing a retinoid (e.g., tretinoin, Retin-A®, Tazorac®, over-the-counter retinol)
- If you have a hypersensitivity or allergy to tretinoin, other retinoids, or any component of your acne formula
- If you have a history of perioral dermatitis or rosacea
- If you have a current or past history of skin cancer
- If you are currently taking other medications that make you more sensitive to sunlight (e.g., tetracyclines, fluoroquinolones, sulfonamides, thiazides, phenothiazines)
- If you are currently sunburned on your face
Can I use the Acne treatment more than once a day?
- No - the treatment is meant to be applied no more than once a day in the evening
Will my skin be more sensitive to the sun while using the Acne Treatment?
This treatment may make your skin more susceptible to sunburn and other adverse effects of the sun (this includes the use of tanning beds, artificial sunlamps, etc.). It is important to apply sunscreen on a daily basis with an SPF of at least 15 while using this treatment.
What if I get a sunburn while using the Acne treatment?
- Stop your treatment until your skin has recovered
What type of facial cleanser should I use with the Acne treatment?
- It is recommended that you wash your face with a 2.5% - 4% benzoyl peroxide wash twice a day. These can be found at most major drugstores or grocery stores. Please do not use abrasive or rough soaps as they may irritate the skin. If your skin is sensitive, you may want to wait 20-30 minutes after washing your face before you apply this treatment.
What will happen once I stop using the Acne Treatment?
Once this treatment is stopped, the improvement that you achieved with use may gradually disappear