Tadalafil is one of the most common prescription drugs used to treat erectile dysfunction (ED) — and with good reason. It’s one of the longest lasting ED meds out there.
For a long time, Tadalafil could only be purchased under the brand name drug Cialis®, but it is now also available as a generic medication.
So, how much should you expect to spend on tadalafil? Read on to find out — along with more information on what it does and how to find out if it's the right ED medication for you.
What Is Tadalafil?
As mentioned before, tadalafil is a medication commonly used to treat erectile dysfunction.
Along with ED, it’s also used to treat a variety of other medical conditions — including benign prostatic hyperplasia and pulmonary arterial hypertension.
Here are a few other helpful tidbits to know:
- Tadalafil is known for lasting a long time. Some even refer to it as a “weekend” ED medication. It can last up to 36 hours.
- It is in a class of medications called phosphodiesterase type 5 inhibitors (or PDE5 inhibitors). It works to treat ED by increasing blood flow to the penis during sexual stimulation.
- It comes in the form of a tablet and can be taken with or without food. Ideally, you want to take it at least 30 minutes before sexual activity and should not take it more than once in a 24-hour period.
- It can cause side effects and interact with other medications. It’s important that you discuss all medications and supplements that you are taking with your healthcare provider before taking tadalafil.
- You will need a prescription for tadalafil. You can access Cialis, generic tadalafil and other ED medications through our telehealth platform.
buy cialis online
genuine cialis has your back all weekend
What are the Advantages of Taking Tadalafil?
Every ED medication has their own set of advantages. Here are a few things that make tadalafil unique:
- It’s long-lasting. In fact, it’s the longest lasting ED medication on the market. One dosage can help erections for up to 36 hours. What’s nice about this is that it means you don’t have to take it right before sex.
- You can take it daily. Tadalafil can be taken as-needed or daily at a lower dosage of 2.5 or 5mg a day. If you take it daily, spontaneous sex is much easier and, because you’re taking it at a lower dose, you may notice fewer side effects. To read more about the benefits of using tadalafil daily, check out our guide to daily-use Cialis.
How Much Does Tadalafil Cost?
Like with most medications, the price of tadalafil varies. There are a variety of factors that may influence cost — like where you purchase it, the specific dosage, whether you go for the brand name Cialis or a generic and your insurance status.
Now, let’s dive into the differences between brand name Cialis and generic tadalafil. Cialis is available in many doses — from 2.5mg up to 20mg.
Some tablets are designed to be taken as needed, while others are appropriate for daily use.
Prices for Cialis can range from $12 to upwards of $70 per tablet, depending on dosage. For a 30-day supply, pricing can range from $380 to $1,000 or more.
Going with generic tadalafil is another option — and it can save you money. Like with Cialis, prices vary. Most generic tadalafil is priced somewhere between $5 and $25 per tablet.
How to Pay the Lowest Price for Tadalafil
If you’re looking to spend the least amount possible for tadalafil, these tips should help.
- Go with a generic. As shown above, generics have the same effective ingredients while costing much less. In fact, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration requires that generic drugs have the same key ingredients, strength, dosage and administration as the brand name versions.
- Try to use your insurance plan. Depending on your provider and plan, ED medication may be covered. Check your insurance’s formulary, which is a complete list of drugs they cover. It should be on their website. Can’t find it? You can also call the number on the back of your insurance card and ask a representative.
- Consider another ED medication. There are other medications that may help and that come at a lower price. Sildenafil is a great example. It’s the active ingredient in Viagra® and, though it lasts for a shorter time than tadalafil, it can be just as effective.
One thing you should never do is try to cut corners. ED medications are frequently faked and there are many counterfeits out there.
These fake meds are usually sold online and don’t require a prescription — something that should be a red flag. Another thing to be wary of is if the price seems drastically low.
The Cost of Tadalafil
The cost of tadalafil depends on a variety of factors — including whether you opt for brand name or generic and what dosage you take.
If you’re interested in brand name Cialis, you may spend anywhere from $380 to $1,000 for a month-long supply.
If you’re interested in the generic version, we offer a daily 5mg dose of tadalafil for $240 a month.
This article is for informational purposes only and does not constitute medical advice. The information contained herein is not a substitute for and should never be relied upon for professional medical advice. Always talk to your doctor about the risks and benefits of any treatment.